(This blog article has been copied from the Confessions of a Dietbreaker Blog)
Parties. They’re SOOO much fun, and yet so quick to throw us COMPLETELY off track. Full of tasty appetizers, yummy drinks (not to mention those high-calorie alcoholic ones that are often available), and great conversation in which we tend to get lost while munching away.
From the moment we walk into a party, our paths are lined with temptation and yes… even… DIET-SABATOGERS. You know… those people who actually encourage you to let it all go and to just have fun. OH MY!
So what do you do? Just how DO you avoid these diet-sabotaging traps which cause you to fall completely off the wagon and yet still allow yourself to really have a little fun? (Cuz, C’mon! What’s life without having some fun! And yes… even allowing ourselves some treats?)
You avoid falling COMPLETELY off the wagon by making a party plan, of course!
Here are 10 ways to ROCK your next party… GUILT-FREE!
2. Choose your 10’s. By that, I simply mean, rate the available appetizers from 1 to 10. With ONE being the least appetizing, and TEN being something you simply can NOT resist. Then only allow yourself to eat your 10’s (In moderation… of course!).
3. Set a number for how many plates of food or appetizers that you will allow yourself. If the plates are small, you might decide to go back a second time… just stop and think about it before you do.
4. Set a number for how many alcoholic drinks you will allow yourself. (Remember… those calories add up fast.)
5. Ask your date, spouse or friend to help you to stay on track. Let them know your plan and seek intervention if necessary. (Come up with a code word that means INTERVENTION! So if they hear you shout STRAWBERRY – if that’s your word – they’ll recognize the code and come running to remove the chips from your hands ASAP! LOL)
6. If it’s a party with a lot of alcohol, make sure to drink a full glass of water between each alcoholic drink. Better yet, offer to be the designated driver!!! This will not only help with the number of calories you consume, but it will also help you to maintain sobriety :)
8. When someone offers you something that is NOT in your plan, graciously decline, and if you feel like it, share your why. You never know… it might change their life. If you do this, though, make sure to being extra healthy food to share with all the lives that will be changing ;)
9. Bring a healthy drink alternative such as Vinyasa (lime, seltzer & agave) so you have something other than water to fill those social cravings.
10. Beware of diet-sabotagers and make a point to hang with people who will support you on your healthy journey.
If the above tips still won’t help, you can always try these ;)
DISCLAIMER: These are a JOKE. Don’t really do this!
2. Self-induced major allergic reaction. Suggestion… sniff some dust or a cat, so your nose is stuffy and you can’t smell. (Thank you Trent Hillaert!)
3. Scald your tongue before you go. A cup of REALLY hot coffee oughta do it!
4. Sneeze on the diet-sabotaging treats and then no one can have any, so you won’t feel alone.
5. Schedule a root canal the morning of the party, so you can’t chew or drink anyway.
6. Bring an enforcer who will smack your hand every time you try to touch a diet-sabotaging treat.
7. Use super glue in place of lipgloss. (Thank you Mary Chenery for this addition!)
8. Have mittens duct-tapped to your hands before you go in to the party. (Thanks Eric Triplett for this one!)
9. Fall off a horse, break your jaw and have it wired shut before the party. (This actually happened to my friend’s sister… thank you Christine Ortiz for this awesome piece of advice! LOL)
10. Wear one of those dog cones around your neck. (Thanks, cousin Tom Weber. Is that what Julie does to you when you go to parties? LOL)
11. Wear a straight jacket and tell everyone you thought it was a costume party. (Trent Hillaert… how do you know about straight jackets? LOL Thanks for the contribution! ;)
12. Tell everyone that at the last party, you hurt yourself masticating, so you are staying away from the food table from now on. (Good one! Thanks Kimmie Scott!)
13. If all else fails… you can always put duct tape over your MOUTH. My personal go-to fav ;) (Thank you Mark Clay… you must have had experience with this one!)